Defender Salisu Mohammed did not shy away from his stance on what has become a protracted bid to have him accept call-ups to the Ghana senior national team.
This emerged in a video posted on social media Friday morning by Kurt Okraku, the President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), who visited the 23-year-old English Premier League centre-back at his base in Southampton on April 21.
In a rather casual and hearty street conversation suggesting successful closed-door talks, the GFA President is seen rehashing Salisu’s continuous baulk at Ghana overtures in the Hausa language.
“If you don’t play, will I be the one to? [amidst laughter],” Kurt Okraku asked Salisu who is on record to have said the time was not ripe yet to add international duties to his roster.
A smiling Salisu then gave credence to rumours about his misgivings about football authorities due to an issue he encountered in his early days.
“The problem is, everything is done with you [referring to football authorities]. Without you, things don’t work. Hope you understand my point.
“As for players, they abound. But the issue [which makes players shy away from call-ups] lies with you [authorities],” he said.
Many attempts have been made to get Salisu Mohammed play for Ghana at the international level but none has been successful so far.
Salisu was first called up by former coach Kwasi Appiah for the start of the 2021 Afcon qualifiers in November 2019 but the then Real Valladolid player failed to turn up with a rib injury excuse.
CK Akonnor took over from Kwasi Appiah as Black Stars head coach a couple of months later and was also not successful in his bid to have the player.
Salisu has been about the best performing Ghanaian player in Europe’s major top leagues with many a black Stars fan urging the GFA to do all things possible to further strengthen the national team’s squad with the player ahead of the Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup.